This is a wonderful talk by Dr. Paul Hseih on the case against medical licensing by the state. This is the first time I’ve seen Dr. Hseih on video and he is wonderful. Enjoy!
Professor Jaana Woiceshyn’s marvelous book on business ethics, How to Be Profitable and Moral: A Rational Egoist Approach to Business, has just been released as an audiobook narrated by Sean Salsbury.
Does one have to sacrifice business profits to be moral?
Dr. Woiceshyn says “no”, and explains why, by introducing business students a set of rational, logical, scientific principles on how they can maximize profits in the long run by acting morally.
Required reading — or listening — for all employees, business students, and CEOs.
Get it here.
p.s. We will have a full review posted shortly!
With schools closed mostly everywhere, Glenn Woiceshyn has decided to make many of his Powerful Minds homeschool books available for free.
Writes Glenn, “While homeschooling my kids and some of their friends at the grade 6 level, I wrote a few books for homeschoolers that include text and exercises. Regarding the latter there is a teacher’s version with answers and a student’s version with the answers left out. This makes it easy for a parent to teach the material without being an expert.
“The 14 books, which can be used for grades 6-8 (ages ~ 11-13), are as follows:
- H001-H003: History – The Pre-Civilization Period (text, student version exercises, teacher version exercises)
- H004-H006: History – The Pre-Civilization Period (study units text, student version exercises, teacher version exercises)
- L001-L004: Novel Studies – Dar and the Spear Thrower (two parts with student version exercises and teacher version exercises)
- L005-L006: Novel Studies – Boy of the Painted Cave (student version exercises and teacher version exercises)
- M001-M002: Arithmetic (student version text and exercise, teacher version text and exercise)
“For the novel studies you need to purchase the novels, such as from Amazon. Feel free to print or pass around my books, which are only in PDF form.”
Link: Powerful Minds homeschool books available for free.
In his essay on COVID19: A Path Forward, Dr. Amesh Adalja, a virus, bio-security expert writes on the importance of how draconian measures to foght COVID-19 can be worse then virus itself:
Plans of prolonged, enforced confinement aimed at preserving life at any cost are premised on a misunderstanding of human life and what makes it worth living. When discussing treatment options with a patient, I often invoke the concept of “quality of life”. Patients regularly choose to take on some risk to their longevity in order to preserve or enhance their quality of life. Individual preferences and shared decision-making with physicians guide medical decision making and also should apply to each individual’s decision regarding the degree of social distancing that is appropriate for them.
A degraded quality of life, particularly over time, itself generates its own risks of death. If the lockdown is prolonged, we can expect increases in deaths from cancer, cardiovascular disease, stroke, mental illness, and substance abuse. How many cancers will metastasize while colonoscopies or biopsies deemed “elective” will be postponed?
Quality of life consists largely in the ability to engage in the activities that make up our lives, and central to these activities is work. Most of us need to work to support ourselves, and many people, including myself, derive meaning from their work. Moreover, humans, as a species, survive by productive work. Jobs cannot be easily parsed into “life-sustaining” and “non-life-sustaining” enterprises. All work consists in the creating of something we need to sustain human life physically and psychologically. Some of these needs are more acute than others, but all contribute to our ability and will to live. Stopping people from working is like depriving a limb of blood flow. Though action is sometimes necessary in an emergency, irreparable and irreversible harm will occur if it is prolonged. A prolonged freeze of the economy — even in the face of a deadly pandemic — will cause a long-term damage far greater than any purported benefit.
He also presents five recommendations, and concludes on a positive note:
In the past infectious diseases claimed more lives per capita than are projected to be at risk from this pandemic, but humans rarely responded by retreating from activity. In the years when smallpox ravaged the planet and rubella crippled babies, humans went to the moon.
- 10-minute test for coronavirus exposure utilizing blood from a finger prick can be performed anywhere by trained professionals, e.g. airports, schools, work, doctor’s office
- Biomerica has begun shipping samples of this COVID-19 test to multiple Ministries of Health and government agencies that have requested the product through the Company’s distributors in the Middle East, Europe, and other countries
- Price point of this single-use, disposable product as low as $10 per patient
- Biomerica has filed a provisional patent on rapid test technology to identify multiple coronavirus strains including the strain responsible for COVID-19
How does a coronavirus home test kit work, and how do I get one?
The UK Government has bought 3.5million finger-prick antibody tests that could soon radically transform the UK’s response to Covid-19.
Ten-Minute Coronavirus Test for $1 Could Be Game Changer
U.K. company, Senegalese institute developing hand-held kit. Kits to be manufactured in Africa, sell for less than a dollar